*This module is open to staff from across SWAST, however please be mindful that delivery of this module may be face-to-face, so some travel may be required. Please contact the university directly if you have any queries about this.*
Prior to applying or expressing an interest in a module place please ensure you have checked that you meet the entry requirements and that you have checked the application deadline.
This 20 credit module enables students to build on their undergraduate research knowledge to develop a deeper understanding of research methodologies and research methods.
The module will also prepare students for their chosen form of final programme module while developing student’s knowledge of research methodologies and a range of research methods for qualitative and quantitative research through a combination of lectures, seminars, research presentations, webinars, access to research resources and independent learning.
On successful completion of the module you will be able to:
- Critically evaluate the fundamental philosophical, epistemological and ontological underpinnings for a range of research methodologies.
- Demonstrate depth of knowledge of research methods appropriate for qualitative and quantitative research.
- Demonstrate an understanding of the methodologies and methods for practice improvement.
- Critically discuss ethical principles which underpin best research practice.
- Critically discuss the value of patient and public involvement in research.
- Apply a detailed knowledge of factors influencing research rigor (reliability, validity, plausibility, credibility etc) to the critical appraisal of published primary research as appropriate to the methodology of the research reviewed.
- Synthesise findings / results from a range of published research and draw conclusions.
- Develop an evidence based proposal for a researchable question for a literature review, a research project or a substantive professional project.
Masters Level: APP758*
*This module has replaced APP745
Delivery 1: 2022 (**This delivery is now fully booked**)
- 13th, 20th, 27th September
- 4th, 11th, 18th October
- 15th November
- 13th December
Delivery 2: 2023
- 18th, 25th April
- 2nd, 9th, 16th, 23rd May
- 6th, 20th June
Delivery mode: Blended delivery with some face to face sessions in Plymouth. *You need to be available for all dates*
Please fill in the funding application form below and click submit.
Deadline for applications: Tuesday 19th July 2022 at 9am
You will be contacted approx 2-3 weeks after this to let you know if you have been successful as the CPD scoring process, followed by further instructions regarding the application process.
Click Here for more info