Prior to applying or expressing an interest in a module place please ensure you have checked the application deadline and that you meet the entry requirements.
It is also important to read the ‘How to Apply’ section below with specific information relating to applying for modules at University of Cumbria to aid success of your application.
This module covers all aspects of multi-agency disaster mitigation and response.
The module will develop the knowledge, skills and behaviours of those expected to deliver interventions or lead in disaster settings. It will broaden and deepen your perception of your role in disaster preparedness, management and resilience principles, shaping your ability to contribute more effectively to doctrine and policy developments that will ultimately improve yours and your team’s practise.
For full information on module content & delivery please check here.
On completion you will be able to:
- Using a sociological and societal approach, demonstrate coherent and comprehensive knowledge and critical understanding of the principles, theories and concepts of disaster planning, response and resilience.
- Engage in advanced critical self-appraisal and reflection in order to demonstrate a mastery of leadership skills in disaster response scenarios.
- Generate a critical and informed approach to the comprehensive and holistic assessment of the needs of individuals, groups and communities within diverse settings, and utilise this knowledge to select and critically apply research based interventions.
- Critically reflect upon your evaluation of your team’s ability to perform against evidence based skills, knowledge and behaviours in order to synthesise credible solutions and approaches that will ensure good practise (quality, safe and efficacious).
Delivery mode: Distance learning
Start date: Monday 26th September 2022.
Semester One Induction week Monday 19th September-
Semester 1 starts Monday 26th September 2022 to Friday 8th December 2022
N.B. If you have not studied at UoC previously you will also be required to attend a virtual induction.
Please fill in the HE funding application form below and click submit.
The deadline to complete this application is Monday 4th July 2022 at 9am.
Once applied, please keep an eye on your SWAST emails, as you will be contacted approx 1 weeks* after the deadline to let you know if you have been successful as per the CPD scoring process. You can find more information about the scoring process here. Successful applicants will be given further instructions for enrolment with the university at this stage.
*Please consider contacting us separately if you anticipate being unable to check your SWAST emails during this period.
*Don’t forget you can use webmail to check Trust emails outside of work- ‘How to’ here*
Please note, when applying to study a CPD module with the UoC, you will need to ensure the following or your application will be rejected:
- You must have evidence of some completed study at Level 6 (BSc Level) if you are applying to study at Level 7 (MSc) – This does not have to have been with UoC and does not have to be a full degree, just credit at Level 6.
- You cannot study more than 1 module in the same semester with UoC. (You can apply for more than one module from swastcpd and if you are successful with both, you will need to withdraw from one ASAP if they run in the same semester, so we can offer your place to someone else).
- You cannot apply to complete CPD modules if you are currently studying the BSc top up. (You can apply for modules that start after your BSc top up ends if they are advertised whilst you are still completing it).
- If you intend to study 2 or more modules at Level 7 you should apply for the PgC Paramedic: Practice Development as opposed to applying for the modules. Click here for the UoC web page for more info
- If you study three 20 credit modules at Level 7, you can exit with the PgC award.
- You can’t apply for the PgC once you have 60 credits as the award is not retrospective.
- Please contact Gemma Coombes if you have any queries about applying for study.