Prior to applying or expressing an interest in a module place please ensure you have checked the application deadline and that you meet the entry requirements.
It is also important to read the ‘How to Apply’ section below with specific information relating to applying for modules at University of Cumbria to aid success of your application.
Available at level 6 or level 7, the aim of this module is to develop advanced knowledge of the principles underpinning the care of adults experiencing acute and critical illness.
This module covers topics such as:
- Concepts of critical care and national policy drivers.
- Patient assessment and monitoring.
- Haemodynamics and fluid balance.
- Introduction to 12 Lead ECG and arrhythmia recognition.
- Pain assessment and management.
- Effect of acute / critical illness on body systems; including: respiratory, cardiac, renal and nervous systems.
- Pathophysiology and treatment of shock.
- Principles of pharmacokinetics and pharmacodynamics.
- Care of the dying patient.
- Ethical, moral and legal issues
Delivery mode: Distance learning
Start date: Monday 26th September 2022.
Group tutorials 13th & 18th Oct, 3rd and 10th Nov 4-5pm – Formative sessions 15 & 17th Nov
N.B. If you have not studied at UoC previously you will also be required to attend a virtual induction.
Please fill in the HE funding application form below and click submit.
The deadline to complete this application is Monday 4th July 2022 at 9am.
Once applied, please keep an eye on your SWAST emails, as you will be contacted approx 1 weeks* after the deadline to let you know if you have been successful as per the CPD scoring process. You can find more information about the scoring process here. Successful applicants will be given further instructions for enrolment with the university at this stage.
*Please consider contacting us separately if you anticipate being unable to check your SWAST emails during this period.
*Don’t forget you can use webmail to check Trust emails outside of work- ‘How to’ here*
Please note, when applying to study a CPD module with the UoC, you will need to ensure the following or your application will be rejected:
- You must have evidence of some completed study at Level 6 (BSc Level) if you are applying to study at Level 7 (MSc) – This does not have to have been with UoC and does not have to be a full degree, just credit at Level 6.
- You cannot study more than 1 module in the same semester with UoC. (You can apply for more than one module from swastcpd and if you are successful with both, you will need to withdraw from one ASAP if they run in the same semester, so we can offer your place to someone else).
- You cannot apply to complete CPD modules if you are currently studying the BSc top up. (You can apply for modules that start after your BSc top up ends if they are advertised whilst you are still completing it).
- If you intend to study 2 or more modules at Level 7 you should apply for the PgC Paramedic: Practice Development as opposed to applying for the modules. Click here for the UoC web page for more info
- If you study three 20 credit modules at Level 7, you can exit with the PgC award.
- You can’t apply for the PgC once you have 60 credits as the award is not retrospective.
- Please contact Gemma Coombes if you have any queries about applying for study.