Prior to applying or expressing an interest in a module place please ensure you have checked the application deadline and that you meet the entry requirements.
It is also important to read the ‘How to Apply’ section below with specific information relating to applying for modules at University of Cumbria to aid success of your application.
This module aims to enhance the knowledge and understanding of registered healthcare professional to recognise and manage the initial needs of adults who present with acute illness. The module is designed to enhance your knowledge and understanding of acute presentation in adults including red flag diagnoses and symptoms.
On successful completion of the module, you will be able to demonstrate a critical understanding of the skills required to perform a primary and secondary health assessment on the acutely ill adult and also to evaluate appropriate early warning tools and investigations which assist the diagnostic process.
For full information on module content & delivery please ensure to check here: Level 7
This module covers topics such as:
- Physical assessment strategies
- Primary and secondary survey models and tools used to recognise the acutely ill adult
- Physiological track and trigger systems to monitor the acutely ill adult
- Acute presentations involving major body systems including cardiovascular, neurological, respiratory, abdominal and sepsis.
Delivery mode: Distance learning
Start date: From Monday 16th January 2023 – Friday 7th April 2023
N.B. If you have not studied at UoC previously you will also be required to attend a virtual induction.
Please fill in the HE funding application form below and click submit.
The deadline to complete this application is Monday 14th November 2022 at 9am.
Once applied, please keep an eye on your SWAST emails, as you will be contacted approx 1 weeks* after the deadline to let you know if you have been successful as per the CPD scoring process. You can find more information about the scoring process here. Successful applicants will be given further instructions for enrolment with the university at this stage.
*Please consider contacting us separately if you anticipate being unable to check your SWAST emails during this period.
*Don’t forget you can use webmail to check Trust emails outside of work- ‘How to’ here*
Please note, when applying to study a CPD module with the UoC, you will need to ensure the following or your application will be rejected:
- You must have evidence of some completed study at Level 6 (BSc Level) if you are applying to study at Level 7 (MSc) – This does not have to have been with UoC and does not have to be a full degree, just credit at Level 6.
- You cannot study more than 1 module in the same semester with UoC. (You can apply for more than one module from swastcpd and if you are successful with both, you will need to withdraw from one ASAP if they run in the same semester, so we can offer your place to someone else).
- You cannot apply to complete CPD modules if you are currently studying the BSc top up. (You can apply for modules that start after your BSc top up ends if they are advertised whilst you are still completing it).
- If you intend to study 2 or more modules at Level 7 you should apply for the PgC Paramedic: Practice Development as opposed to applying for the modules. Click here for the UoC web page for more info
- If you study three 20 credit modules at Level 7, you can exit with the PgC award.
- You can’t apply for the PgC once you have 60 credits as the award is not retrospective.
- Please contact Gemma Coombes if you have any queries about applying for study.