A three-step course aiming to deliver practical, focused, frontline palliative care skills and knowledge to all ambulance clinicians across the whole Southwest.
This training was driven by the results of the EOL & Palliative care survey in the Chief’s Bulletin that asks staff what they needed and wanted. The survey closed on the 30th June.
- The First step is to read through the focused palliative care handbook.
- The Second step is virtual, recorded teaching consisting of 5 teaching sessions. These sessions will build on the concepts in the handbook and you can access and watch them at your convenience. Fill in the form at the bottom of the page to gain access to the recordings
- The Third step will be to attend a 1-hour live discussion session. This will allow you to ask any specific questions, cases, queries or challenges to a palliative care specialist. You are encouraged to sign-up to a live discussion session when starting the course but please complete the first two steps before attending the live discussion. Please note, this session is designed to be interactive and therefore staff are encouraged to prepare in advance by considering topics / questions for discussion.
Once you have completed all three steps you will be sent a certificate of completion. The course is equivalent to three days of continuing professional development
Once you apply, you will receive a link to your ESR Learning Page where you can enrol to complete the recorded lectures before attending a Live Discussion session.
The lectures are as follows:
- Palliative Care Emergencies – Dr Sarah Human
- Legal Considerations – Dr Tania Elias
- Medical Ethics – Dr Natasha Wiggins
- Palliative care in the last few days of life – Dr Candida Cornish
- Complex Conversations – Dr Joanna Lutyens
Live discussion session dates
- 20th Oct 2022 – 16:00 – Dr Laurie Powell
- 17th Nov 2022 – 10:00 – Dr Natasha Lovell
- 22nd Dec 2022 – 14:00 – Dr Rebecca Clarke
- 22nd Feb 2022 – 14:00 – Dr Jane Gibbins
- 31st Mar 2022 – 14:00 – Dr Helen Hayward
- 17th April 2023 – 14:00 – Dr Fiona Chiplen
- 22nd May 2023 – 14:00 – Dr Fiona Chiplen
- 22nd June 2023 – 13:00 – Dr Sarah Human
- 17th July 2023 – 15:00 – Dr Lauire Powell
- 30th August 2023 – 14:00 – Dr Andrea Ling
*New Dates Now Available*
- 27th September 2023 13:00 – Dr Rachel Clarke
- 13th October 2023 09:00 – Dr Natasha Wiggin
- 20th November 2023 13:00 – Dr Joanna Lutyens